Sharing published project on Dropbox

mallot

Just starting out. Not trying to embed project to a website yet. Published project plays locally on my machine without a problem. I am just trying to post it on Dropbox for others to view and provide feedback. I thought if I loaded the entire published folder and provided a link, they would be able to download it to their computer and simply open the .html file inside the published folder to view the project locally on their computer. That works on my local computer but not on other's computers. What am I missing? Can someone help me please? Thanks.

Roger

WebSupport

Hi!

You would need to put everything into your Public folder on Dropbox to be accessible as "hosted" web files.

Here's a snippet from the link that follows:

Create a folder within your public folder; you can label this “site” or “website” or something similar. Put your website (all of your HTML pages, for example) inside this folder. Right click on your homepage and select Copy Public Link. Anyone with this link can open the web page in their browser

https://ultimatedropboxguide.com/2015/0 ... h-dropbox/

I hope this helps. Just let us know.

PS: Dropbox has an issue where they purposely don't mark image files as "cache-able" by web browsers. This has a bad side-effect with our 360 degree product viewer in that a browser would release images from browser cache after some time of user inactivity which will cause odd issues with the viewer if user tries to spin the images again without a page refresh...

mallot

I dont think that is the issue. I am not trying to host on Dropbox, just using it to transfer files. I went ahead and enabled the Public Folder in Dropbox anyways and moved my project's published folder in there to test it. I provided the link to my coworkers but as before, they have no problem downloading the published folder onto their computer. It is only once they try to open the .html file the images don't load. They just get the three bars as if its trying to find the files.
I then tried another approach by simply copying my published folder via a thumbdrive to another machine (both are macs). I tried opening the .html file from my published folder but I get the same result. Is there a reason it will play on my machine and not on others. Is it because SpotEditor, X11 or mono framework is not installed, on the other machines? I thought once it was published as an html file it could be viewed anywhere provided the assets (i.e. published folder) were present.

mallot

Hooray! I got it to work in the public folder by just providing the .html file as a public link. Thanks so much for your help!

Cheers.

Roger