Spoteditor is generating inflated JPG image files

GChambers

Hi,

I'm using Spoteditor 3.5.1.550 Pro.
I've noticed that spoteditor is generating JPG files with file sizes that are about two to three times that of the original JPG images used as sources in the project. For example an original 800 * 588 pixel JPG image has a file size of 70K. When output by spoteditor in the 360_assets folder the same image is now 161K.

I had carefully optimised the original images to fit within the constrains provided by the web developer on the project I'm working on (I'm the photographer) and now he is complaining that the file sizes are too large and that the spins are taking too long to load.

I'm not using any hotspots, watermarks or any other advanced features - just a plain vanilla spin with the dispalyed images having the exact same dimensions as the source images. When I publish the spin, I set the JPG quality to 100% as I've already optimised the compression of the original JPG images in Lightroom when I created them.

Why are the images being inflated and is there anything I can do to bring them back to the exact same size and image quality of the originals?

Regards,
Gordon Chambers.

WebSupport

Hi Gordon,

This is how JPG compression works in general when you re-save a JPG image with 100% compression quality (or any other compression quality that is higher than the one you used when you optimized them originally), i.e in Photoshop and other imaging software there will be the same result as well. Here's the same question in reference to Photoshop and a detailed answer below in the thread:

http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/ ... -their-fil

One option is to either select lower quality than 100% and similar to what you used when you optimized the original 360 product images elsewhere, or publish first and then copy your original images into the published folder under 360_assets/.../images as looks like you are not resizing or cropping the images inside SpotEditor.