Idle Viewer Consumes Browser Resources

rich

I've used SpotEditor 3.0 to create a continuously rotating view containing 60 different .jpg files totaling 1MB in size (19kB each). I don't have any hot-spots, I'm using the "Use only JavaScript..." check box option when publishing, and I'm not using any high-resolution images. The rotating image comes up beautifully and works smoothly; however, when you let it sit idle for several minutes, it starts to consume CPU and memory resources in the browser. The memory allocation for the browser process can fluctuate by several hundred MB within only a minute or so, slowly growing and then suddenly dropping. If you interact with the image, it will work fine and the browser CPU usage will return to normal and the memory allocation will drop substantially.

I've seen the same behavior in IE 9.0.8112.16421 and Firefox 15.0.1 on a couple of different Windows 7 computers. Chrome 22.0.1229.79 m and Safari 5.1.7 (7534.57.2) seem to be unaffected by this issue. The behavior goes away when I remove only the code enabling the rotating image (i.e. the div id="content"); the html including the JavaScript and basic css files is still active.

Any ideas on how to address this issue?

WebSupport

Hi Rich - thanks for the info. We don't see anything like this with just a viewer alone using the latest viewer build. Just tested using our demo site with FF 15.0.1 and IE 9.0.8 and looks completely normal after some idle (Windows 7). May be a couple of MB back and forth which is normal but nothing of the scale you are seeing.

Can you try this link below and test your scenario? You can also send us a link to your site here or via support @ webrotate360_com so we could take a look.

http://www.360-product-views.com/