Mac 10.10 (Yosemite) and Mono requirement

stratacorps

Was trying to get up and running on a new Mac. Its running OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) and I installed the MonoFramework package and then copied Spoteditor over into /Applications. But SpotEditor won't load...you see the icon and then the app closes quickly. Nothing in the console logs indicating any issues.

In checking, the MonoFramework 2.10.9 is not supported on 10.10 ... I installed 3.10 and the mono framework is intact and SpotEditor will now launch, but it gives me the error that 2.10.9 build 12 is required.

Is there hope for me? I just got my Joomla plugin and am ready to get back to work!! :)

(Note: I even cheated and modified the MonoLauncher file to allow for the newer version, but of course it didn't work...that would have been too easy)

WebSupport

Hi!

Yes, if you had SpotEditor installed before the upgrade to Yosemite, the only thing that is needed to make it work again is to reinstall X11 as Yosemite breaks X11 as described in this post about similar X11 dependent software:

https://ask.wireshark.org/questions/363 ... x-yosemite

This is something we just recently discovered and a few folks confirmed it worked for them after upgrading to 10.10 and reinstalling X11. If it's a new SpotEditor installation with X11 on Yosemite this wouldn't be an issue.

I hope it helps :)

PS: You would need to go back to Mono 2.10.9 build 12 that came with the SpotEditor download as this is what we tested it with (it's the last mono release I think that supported X11 that we need).

PS2: we're working on a native Mac app right now...

stratacorps

I swear I tried that before embarking on the updated Mono framework. I actually had SpotEditor running under 3.10.0 manually by launching the ./bin/MonoLauncher MonoLauncher.exe ...the symbolic links were created with the 3.10 installation (for X11)...I installed 2.10.9 a couple of times, but it seems though it didn't create the /usr/X11 symbolic link to /opt/X11 (?)

Anyway, I recopied SpotEditor.app over and reinstalled the 2.10.9 Mono, and your launcher works for me!

Can't wait for a native app, but I just got my Joomla plugin so I won't be too greedy...

WebSupport

Thanks for confirming!

And if there're any issues with the new Joomla plugin, we have a dedicated sub-forum here just in case :)